Friday 17 January 2014

Olivia The Brave and Rewarded

Ms Obi is one of those very few young ladies who believe in the possibility of the works of the hands. She is a student at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka and a passionate Hockey player. She’s from Anambra State, Idemili-North Local Government Area. She’s been around Nigeria as a participant in countless hockey games. Young and energetic, Olivia Chelsea Obi recently won a brand new Hyundai car in a Close-Up toothpaste contest. This is a reward for being a purposeful dreamer. RottenBiro had a chat with this unique young woman who is less passionate about shopping for high-heeled shoes and fancy phones. From very revealing answers about her personal life and some very hearty answers about her passion, it was very heart-warming a session with Olivia Ebelechukwu Obi. 

The African audience hasn’t seen sporting activities as a means to fulfilment. What is your perception of sports, and why hockey? 

By Perception you mean my intuition and understanding of sports? To me, sports mean freedom. It's simply a physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competition. And this is why I am very competitive. I play Hockey currently. And to answer the question of why hockey... well let's just say a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. I played football initially but I was not getting a good sign.  I was even losing my fitness but the very first day I played hockey I saw that it would break me loose so I joined the school team.

Do you have any history with sports or a background of it in your family? 

None. 

Describe your upbringing? 

Hmm, my upbringing. Well I was brought up in a very religious home. I'm an indoor girl because we are not allowed to go out; this is why I'm also an introvert. I don't talk much.

Is the University of Nigeria doing a lot to encourage sports? 

Not anymore

Do you think you are less appreciated than your friends who are into entertainment? 

Yes.

If you were not into sports, what else would it be?

laughs Dance and Music 

Who is your role model? 

Apart from God, my role model is ME

If you were to give a piece of advice to a group of people, what would it be? 

Never say never. And there's no harm in trying.

Do you have a boyfriend? What’s your taste in a man? 

I don't have any boyfriend. My taste in a man is he who loves sports a lot and who is very understanding.

How do you balance academics with sports? 

I try my best and I always have it in mind that there is a time for everything.






No comments:

Post a Comment