Thursday 7 May 2015

Music Video Review: “Wake Up” by PD Braide

Music Video Review
Song:               “Wake Up” by PD Braide
Director:        Kofi Zwana, Sara de Gouveia for Butterfly Films
Reviewer:       Bura-Bari Nwilo
This video is a collaborative effort – at least more than a person would be praise or flogged. The names of the directors are fairly new, to me. But South Africa, like Nigeria, has endless music video directors, making sound statements with every given opportunity. And on this conscious music, something I think would be uneasy for an everyday director who is concerned with drinks and erotic dances, the directors pulled it off successfully.  
Conscious music should be of its own genre. Oh. I guess it is. Wake Up is one or so I think. While I am less concerned with the lyric, though it is fundamental to what is on screen, the video makes me type.
Wake Up is a great escape from the many things we celebrate as music videos currently being played on TV. It is free of objectifying any lady who thinks she has some great body that has to be in my face. And yes the music has ladies, they are properly covered, sadly but I think it corresponds with the message of the song.
The directors are artistic. They paid good amount of attention to all that appeared on screen of this song. Everything is at rest until a call – clarion call is put out. The plays of incidents by the actors are complimentary. My best shots were the outdoor shots. I love it outside, where irrelevances are blurred and the real deal stays in focus. The shots taken on moving tracks worked. And the utter gaze of the ladies at the salon; that was another excellent one for me. There were a few close-ups that didn’t work for me, but since the artiste is fairly new, her face needs to get out there and I guess I understand it.
This video looks simple but it isn’t. The right elements in keeping to the lyric were properly done. Should you watch this video? Yes! You’d appreciate it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLxOdFVBmjg

No comments:

Post a Comment