Sunday 20 September 2015

Seyi Babatope doesn't believe big budget means good film.

Seyi Babatope’s movie, Lunch Time Heroes is in cinemas. He’s called it the first Nollywood family film. The cast is impressive, particularly because he worked with kids; any director’s biggest headache. The trailer is quite fascinating and Diana Yekinni plays Banke Adewumi, a corp member who makes a change in the lives of some seven students who are not good at sports. The busy Seyi spared sometime while in the UK for the premiere of When Love Happens to respond to few questions. Enjoy it.  
Your new movie is for the family but particularly made for children. What motivated it?

I was interested in another side of Nigerian cinema that in my opinion has been neglected and is a key component to the survival of any industry .Talent pool, an industry must replenish its talent base and pipeline. That was one of the key motivations behind Lunch Time Heroes and I wanted to make a film I could go and see with my nephews.

Filming with children could be hectic, how did you manage the young actors?

These kids were a joy to be around for the two weeks that we shot for. I enjoyed every single moment with them. and I’d do it again if the opportunity arose.

I haven’t seen the film. In two words, tell me about it.

Fun and Fun


Working in the Nigerian space as a filmmaker, how has the process been?

Working in Nigeria is something I take in my stride. I stay within my close family of collaborators and I stay focused on the goal. I accept the challenge of the terrain Nigeria is and just want to go about the business of disproving naysayers and doubters. A rose can grow from concrete.

Compared to some popular names that have been making films with millions in Nigeria, yours is low budget. Was that intended?

I am comfortable making the kinds of films I've been making so far. Making films in the millions is not as interesting to me as making a good film. Having said that, making films in really tough in Nigeria and those that are able to make good films should be applauded because it is an extremely difficult undertaking.

What camera did you shoot with?

We shot the Red Epic Dragon with anamorphic.

What are the top three films you could be caught watching?

Inception, Before Sunset, Constant Gardner, just to name a few of the films I like.


In Hollywood, who would you love to cast in a movie someday and why?

There are too many talented people out there that just bring the business. I’m drawing a blank now.

Is there anything as a uniquely Nigerian story?

There is a thing as a Nigerian perspective which I feel is valid. Stories are ultimately about the human condition and that is universal. A perspective that is Nigerian will give the stories a unique flavor that can only be ours.
What are you currently watching?

I just saw a documentary called the Fog of War. 

No comments:

Post a Comment