Saturday 15 August 2015

Chidinma Okpara is a Lazy Chef!

Chidinma Okpara is a sef-taught chef. At least that’s what she says of her skills. On Facebook, she’s terrible with making food lovers fall in love. We see but we can’t touch. If this isn’t gross then nothing is. Chidinma’s specials have been featured on the CNN website. Pay attention as she talks about food, books and her laziness.



When did you fall in love with food?

I fell in love with food not too long ago after I had a tiny stint with depression... I was not a big eater, but I did love to cook. The cooking part seemed to really make me feel better and from then the passion was born.

Did you feel compelled to cook because you were an African woman and everyone expects that of you?

No not at all. Being an African woman does not mean you must know how to cook. I know many who do not know how to peel an onion.

You say you are self-taught, how does that give you an edge?

Being self-taught gives me a lot of personal experience which I feel some well schooled chefs do not have. If you mix being self-taught and school together, that gives even more of an edge.

Some of your works are made from simple items in the Nigerian market, is that a way of expressing your simplicity?

Yes it is. Also, the average Nigerian prefers simple recipes and it kind of goes with my theme of being a "Lazychef" with a passion for cooking. I don't like to cook with things I know I cannot easily find.

In your story, you mentioned how you disappointed a client once because you got recipe from someone. Do you create yours now?

Yes. Although I do cook and follow some basic recipes, I create my recipes now.

In dressing and appearance, you are afrocentric, does it mean we can’t find intercontinental dishes on your menu?

I am Afrocentric, but I cook both local and intercontinental dishes.

All chefs love those who eat a lot. How much do you eat?

I eat a little sometimes and a lot other times. I do try to balance my eating habit.

What’s your kitchen like – what can I find if I stepped inside?

The first things you would see are my pots and my work-top, that’s where I chop and do all my work. I have my food processors and I would say my aprons but my ajebutters have that :)

Food. Literature and music, how do you put them on same table?

Food first, because it is my passion; then music before literature.

Who are some of the chefs you look up to?

I look up to my mother. She is a retired and trained chef and I learnt the basics from her. I wonder if I would ever be as good as she is. I also like Chef Gordon Ramsey. He is too excellent, a go-getter and he always strives for the best. Totally!

What’s the future for African cuisines?
African cuisine has not even started yet. We are gradually taking over the food and entertainment industry. African cuisines can be tweaked and turned every-which way. The world will hear :)





ABACHA RECIPE
Abacha is made simply from cassava that has been cut, washed and fermented for some days. It is a simple meal that is indigenous to the Igbo speaking people of Nigeria. There are several ways to make it, but I shall share with you a simple to-go recipe.
You can actually get this up within 15minutes.

I shall be sharing the cold version with you today

What you need

2 cups of dry abacha
1 - 1/2 cup of dry Ugba (oil bean)
3 Habanero peppers or Ata rodo
2 table spoons o dry ground crayfish
1 table spoon of Utazi
6 Ehuru seeds (roasted)
1 medium onion
120 mls of palm oil
1 - 1/2 half table spoon of Ogiri okpei
1/2 table spoon potash or baking soda
1 bouillon
And salt to taste

Process

Soak the dry abacha in hot boiling water for a few seconds. Drain and fluff with a fork; then cover to keep warm.
Soak the ugba in warm water for a few minutes then drain. Blend the pepper and Ehuru and set aside. slice the onion and set aside. Soak the baking soda or the potash in 1/3 cup of water and let it melt; if using potash, drain the water through a fine mesh sieve and set aside(you need the water). If using baking soda, simply melt the baking soda in lukewarm water and set aside

Preparation

Pour the oil into a large bowl along with the water from the potash or the baking soda and mix really quickly to form a slightly thick paste. Add the ogiri and melt into the oil then stir in the pepper and ehuru mix along with the ugba. When all is well combined, stir in the abacha and onion; making sure it is well coated with all the ingredients. Add the utazi and the bouillon or salt to taste

* If you do not  have ugba; then you could make the abacha on it's own with dry fish


No comments:

Post a Comment