Sunday 2 August 2015

"I have seen Mummy Dearest in cinemas over 8 times and I'm still not tired." Chat with filmmaker, Uzo Ikedum

Uzo Willis Ikedum has a new film in the Nigeria cinema. It’s been there for a month. It had a pretty warm outing in June when it premiered in Port Harcourt. Movie enthusiasts and celebrities attended the event. It is still showing at the Silverbird Cinemas, in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.


Uzoma is a filmmaker with lots of guts. This isn’t solely because he makes movies from Port Harcourt, an oil city that is stifling to the arts, but because he is consistent and his stories are particularly unique. And because he thinks AY’s 30 Days in Atlanta is funny.
The latest movie from Uzo’s production is a family drama that has one of Nollywood’s pearls, the amiable Liz Benson in it. And lots of other talented younger Nigerian actors who made the story an irresistible piece!

Mummy Dearest has been reviewed and applauded for its simplicity and delivery. But in movie making, nothing is simple. Uzo discusses his challenges and gives his 2015 list of best films.

Is it a deliberate act from you to make film from Port Harcourt, knowing the likely low patronage of arts in the city?
Yeah. I felt the need to reverse that act of low patronage of the arts. I also wanted to help put the city on the map for a good cause contrary to the perception of people outside the state. It's my home city, if I don't make it look nice, no one would. If I make it better, others would have no other choice but to follow suit. Besides, it's a fresh location, not fully explored and I like my things unique. Call it custom made. Lol.
You had Liz Benson in the film. Was it difficult convincing her about your project?
I didn't have so much to do after she read the script. The script did the wooing for me. After reading the script, she called back and said: "I like the script. Where are we filming?"
How has the Port Harcourt audience and Nigeria received this project?
The response in the cinemas has been great. We have already started getting offers for VOD and UK, US and French TV rights. We give God the glory.


Being a young filmmaker, what’s the challenge in making movie in Nigeria?
 Firstly, finance, like every other business. Then power, it makes filming exterior scenes especially difficult because everyone has their generator set on, thereby ruining the movie sound.
"Another big issue no one wants to talk about is unprofessionalism of the cast and crew. Actors leave movie sets or hurry the filmmaker because they have another engagement on another set."

The cinema seems to be making the job easier, are Nigerians really cinema conscious or they would rather do DVD?
The cinema culture in Nigeria is coming back. It was bigger in the 70s, then fizzled out in the 80s/90s and came back around mid 2000s. With the way it's going, it's going be way bigger and better than what it used to be. We have 23 outlets now, and FillmHouse promised another 4 before the year ends. They have also brought in the first IMAX cinemas in West Africa to Nigeria. That's a milestone if you ask me. Nigerians are really embracing it and perceptions are beginning to change about Nigerian movies in cinemas. I'm loving it.


When an idea for a film comes to you, how do you nurse it to fruition?

Write it down on my phone or somewhere safe. Then let it be. Inspiration is something you don't force. One day, concept of the whole movie will just hit me. And I will consult my note and start making outlines of the plot. Then when I start writing a screenplay properly, some things would change. I would keep tweaking until I have a final draft.
In 2013 you were in Hollywood. One of your short films was screened in LA. The experience, what has it done to you as a film maker?



The experience has really been helpful in terms of knowing what the West expects from us Africans. I also know what film festivals are supposed to be, totally different from what we do here in Nigeria. I also made contacts there, one of them is about to pay off good.
There are speculations that agents of the nation’s film board usually disrupt sets of non-registered members. Have you experienced such?



No one has come on my set for that purpose.
What were some of the cameras you worked with? And which is your favourite?
I've worked with the canon DSLR cameras and super 16mm celluloid camera too. I hope to shoot on a 4k digital camera in my next production, most likely, the RED epic. But I'm really looking forward to filming with an ARRI Alexa. It's the cinematographers' baby in Hollywood.
What are your 2015 top 5 movies?
Wow! That's an unexpected question. Okay. My first would be, with all bias, Mummy Dearest. I think you don't get tired of watching any movie you love. I have seen Mummy Dearest in cinemas over 8 times and I'm still not tired. The second would be, Selma. And then Focus. I will have to steal from last year’s; When Love Happens and 30 Days in Atlanta because it's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment