Saturday 29 August 2015

"Overtime I’ve learnt to just write a story without worrying about form, structure or even direction." Nnedinma Kalu

Nnedinma Kalu lives in Enugu, Nigeria and could be described as an extremely reserved woman. Highly sensitive, maybe emotional too, she is the person you would want to ask for the factual account of any event she attended. 
In observing her quietness, Nma writes and lives. She has  screenplays and short stories to her credit. 

For me, writing gets crazy when the story is in my head but I can’t find the discipline to put it to paper. I struggle with this. And over time, I have had more incomplete stories.


How do you manage discipline?


Overtime I’ve learnt to just write a story without worrying about form, structure or even direction.I leave the story for a few days, sometimes weeks or even months, before coming back to it, because then I’m able to look at it from a new perspective and put it to form.  I also depend on a lot of feedback both from readers and writers. That’s why I belong to a critique group and I’ve found them to be quite resourceful.



You were recently in Uganda for the now annual Writivism festival. What would you make of the visit, the country and the festival?


It was my first time at a literary festival, so I don’t really have a yardstick to judge. Nevertheless I think I can say that it was a great festival. I went away with a lot of information that gave me new perspective to certain things.

As for Uganda, I found it a lot different from Nigeria. The people seemed very content and relaxed and it felt strange not to see people hustling like we do. They lacked the urgency of Nigerians and moved with a slower pace that amazed me. For a break, I would like to live in Uganda, away from all these expectations we have here and just relax without being judged. Haha. There were other things I admired; their preservation of nature—they have lots of trees and flowers and, oh, there was steady electricity—not a sound of generator was heard throughout our stay. Can you believe that? It was so surreal.



Compared to workshops you’ve attended in Nigeria, how would you rate what Writivism offered?


For a workshop in its early years I think they’re doing a good job, especially when it comes to bringing up ‘emerging writers’ like myself.



For you, what makes a satisfying story?


Well as expected, a beginning a middle and an end. From the beginning of a story I should be able to tell what a character wants. I want to follow the character(s) in a journey to attain this goal. To see them fight through obstacles until they reach a climax and then a resolution or an escalation as the case may be. This makes good drama, and mind you, the goal could be internal or physical, it doesn’t matter. It just has to be there or I’m bored.



What are you currently reading?


EC Osondu’sVoice of America , Short Story Day Africa’s 2014 Anthology – Terra Incognita, The Ghost of SaniAbacha by ChumaNwokolo and Africa 39 Anthology. I haven’t had time recently to commit to a novel, so I just snatch up a short story from any of these books whenever I can.


If you were to make a list of five books, who would you have on the list and why?


Alice Walker because there’s an honesty about her writings that I hope to have;NoViolet Bulawayo because I admired her ingenuity in We Need New Names so I look forward to reading more of her; Jennifer Makumbi because the plotting of Kintuwas amazing and I can’t wait to see what she’ll do next;ZukiswaWanner, oh,why else but because she’s Zukiswa, she’s a great storyteller; BinyavangaWainaina because when I read him I can almost imagine him in front of his computer typing away, not bothering about what we would all think; there’s a certain rhythm to his sentences that just gets me giddy.


The winning short story at the festival, I liked it but have my reservation. Do you think yours could have won?


Pemi told a compelling story and deserved the win. All the shortlisted stories are amazing; to me any of them could have won.


Would you rather treat societal issues in your writings or go abstract?


I do not particularly set out to write stories to treat societal issues, but if it comes up in my writing I will not shy away from it.


Have you ever been so attached to any characters in your story?


Of course.My characters are alive to me. They don’t just exist in my stories,; they’re real people. Why wouldn’t I be?


Whose music does the magic for you?


Kim Walker, India Arie, Asa, Kari Jobe and some of Taylor Swift.In that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment