Tuesday 18 November 2014

Adunni on PEOPLE


Today on PEOPLE, I had a conversation with one of Nigeria’s fairest writers. This is not in terms of complexion, as the reverse is the case. Triple A is outspoken and addresses governmental excesses in her writings and updates. She is an author and a PhD student, that’s if my memory still hasn’t failed me. She is a crush to a lot of us, younger dreamers. Meet Adelakun Adunni Abimbola.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: How do you view success?

AAA: There was a time I would have viewed success as having certain material goods and maybe even the regular accomplishments: getting a degree, a good job and all that. Now I see success as being able to live on your own terms and being respected for it; not having to explain your choices to anyone or apologize for anything.
The definition of success is very personal and for me, it is about doing things that make you happy. Whatever that is, so long as you can do it, consider yourself a success.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: Have you ever dealt with failure?

AAA: I deal with it daily. My failures come in different sizes and shapes. Some might seem small and insignificant but they are large enough to crush my spirit. But then, I have also learned that failing does not make you a failure.
It might sound cliché but I learn from my failures too. Yes, that makes it worthwhile. Sometimes also, failure has nothing to teach you other than the odds were simply not in your favor.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: What makes you super happy?

AAA: Traveling. Reading. Writing. Watching movies. Teasing my partner. Making mischief. Helping someone. Taking long isolated walks. Being left alone.
The things that bring me happiness, I must confess, are pretty mundane

Bura-Bari Nwilo: If you could make one wish, what would it be?

AAA: That all of us would just do the right thing. Or do the right thing by our neighbours.
It will reduce the need intensity with which we pray to God.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: If you wanted a tool to fix this world, what kind would it be?

AAA: Frankly, to fix the world would require a whole toolbox. There are times I would need a hammer to just drill some things in (or smash everything!) and there are times that only a spanner would suffice. So, yes, give me the whole collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment