Friday 14 November 2014

Nkiru Njoku on People!


People! Is a project that would have me interview my friends on social media. I may not edit the interviews. And I won’t promise that it would be awesome but it will definitely be humane. Enjoy!

My first guest is NKIRU NJOKU, writer, actress and mother. She is a beautiful woman with stories. Pay attention to what she offers.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: So what do you consider greatest?

Nk'iru. Njoku: In terms of??

Bura-Bari Nwilo: Life in general

https://m-static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/y4/r/-PAXP-deijE.gifNk'iru. Njoku: Hmmmm
Very difficult question
Love is good
Health is important
Money is important
It's not easy to have a 'greatest' thing
Very hard question
Hard

Bura-Bari Nwilo: Okay. So let's say you are to change the world, what work tool would you prefer and why?

Nk'iru. Njoku: Ego is easily the biggest problem of the world. I would balance out everyone's ego. People need to take offense a lot less about EVERYTHING - religion, sexuality, etc and this is a very simplistic list. What work took would I use? Magic, my dear. That's the only way this can happen. And we all know this is impossible so there goes my fantasy...

Bura-Bari Nwilo: hahaha. nice. I need your magic too.
Okay. Your most recent sensation is your daughter. From your updates, she has been a redefinition of motherhood. Why did you pick particular interest in documenting the time you two spend together?

Nk'iru. Njoku: Because of our pretty backward mentality in Nigeria (I am sorry to say this though), kids with reduced abilities or outright disabilities are not considered 'proper' human beings. I thought it was time to shift our thinking so I decided to document my journey with her. If more mothers with special-needs babies made a lot of noise then perhaps policies will be put in place to acknowledge the humanity of people with special needs and underline their importance to society. In my daughter's case, blindness is simply an inconvenience - her humanity is intact, her individuality is obvious. And she's a few days short of a year old. This is because of how we view her and treat her. I wanted to stir the still waters of our mentality and I dare say some people are taking notice.

Bura-Bari Nwilo:
Oh. Wow. That's so great and I commend your effort.
If you were to close your eyes, who is that trusted person that you would allow to ferry you across turbulence?

Nk'iru. Njoku:
My partner. He's like the older, smarter, more experienced male version of me. My trust in him is 'a hundred and more' percent.

Bura-Bari Nwilo
That's sweet.
If you died and returned to earth, where would you prefer as birth place?
Hahahahahahaha
Vincent biko stop tempting me to deny my country

Bura-Bari Nwilo
hahaha. Am I?

Nk'iru. Njoku: Birth place isn't a determining factor of anything. Where you live, what passport you have (which isn't always due to being born in said place) is what counts, isn't it? I would still not mind being born in Nigeria to be honest, based on my analysis.
Plus some people are born in the 'best' countries in the world, they grew up in those countries, live there, work there and are still 'suffering'. Birth place is no issue jare.



No comments:

Post a Comment