Monday 17 November 2014

David Hymar on PEOPLE!


David Hymar is from Warri, Delta State. He is a student of the University of Benin. He is a writer. He loves Chimamanda. Aside writing, that’s one thing we share in common. But he has met her and I have met Chika Unigwe and Ukamaka. I think I win. Enjoy our conversation on PEOPLE!

Bura-Bari Nwilo: How do you view success?

Hymar David: Success implies I am living my dreams irrespective of the material gains. Success for me is not about arriving but consistently achieving. Arrivrers are the most static people I know.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: Have you ever dealt with failure?

Hymar David: Lots of times. People expect so much from you: family, friends, loved ones. And then you fail. You feel like a letdown. I don't deal with failure particularly well. I sometimes make the same mistakes over and over

Bura-Bari Nwilo: What makes you super happy?
Hymar David: It is more a question of WHO. There are a lot of really amazing people in my life right now. Most of them are from Facebook (in person I don't make too many friends. Shy much). Things don't make me happy. If you gave me a million dollars, it wouldn't necessarily bring me happiness. For instance, what if you struck me with your car (olorun maje o) and I lost my arms and my sight. How am I gonna write now? Will one million dollars compete with that? Will I take your one million dollars and start screaming with happiness? Nope.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: If you wanted a tool to fix this world, what kind would it be?

Hymar David: My pen of course. There is no stronger voodoo than a biro. I believe God looked one day at all He made and said 'this is good but it could be better' so He gave the world the gift of writers.

Bura-Bari Nwilo: If you could make one wish, what would it be?

Hymar David: Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to turn back the time to when I was seven and grow up 'normal'. You know, without a disability and stuff like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment