Monday 17 November 2014

Eti on PEOPLE!


Eti Davis is originally from Akwa Ibom State in Nigeria. She has been in the United States as a worker and student. She is a psychologist. She currently works with behavioural children. We had a conversation for PEOPLE. Enjoy it. 

Bura-Bari Nwilo:  What has been your greatest challenge?
Eti: Life throws so many loops and bends at us, and this has made my life quite interesting. Without the humps in life, I probably wouldn't appreciate the beauty of life. Discouragement, I sometimes embrace them as opportunities to excel higher. Fear of Losing People and things That are Dear to my Heart. At the back of my Mind I still have it stored somewhere though that when there's Loss, I Must keep Going and hoping for the best.
Bura-Bari Nwilo: Have you ever dealt with failure?
I call my failures (Success Stories). Man pikin haf suffered in this life but they give me strength to keep climbing on to those Jacob's ladder. When I arrived in America some years ago, I was so excited to start school, after years of JAMB failures. I registered for school here as a JJC (Johnny Just come) with the help of a friend I met, I had no fax machines, money, and of course I had to rely on those who understood the system more than I did to help me. I was anticipating to start school soonest. Great feeling of course, but after three weeks, no response, no mail, I was sad, at least a confirmation that my documents were received never came through. Rather, my friend came and showed me her letter of admission, and I asked: oh! No news for me? She told me keep to waiting that they'd reply me.
No be goat born me oh (As a Nigerian, my understanding of you keep waiting was different o, I had to get my butt up and hustle my thing alone o) after all, I grew up in a country that I had to take care of my responsibilities at a younger age. I didn't have to rely on people. We are just naturally built that way. I was not one Ajebutter or else, I would have still been waiting for my admission letter till years later, believing it was sent in.
I was distraught, just for the fact that we did it together and this was one of the very important things in my life. How come no news? Oh, probably she never faxed my papers. The thoughts came cycling in my brain all night. The following day I walked into a college closer to my house, I applied, got accepted with full scholarship. I graduated as a psychologist, and now pursuing my second degree as an Applied Behavior Board Certified Analyst. I don't like using bad English, "But Life Ain't Easy, I just Gone wit ma badd self. I don't care or give a hoot what people Think." I've endured enough and it's made me stronger.
Bura-Bari Nwilo: What makes you super happy?
Eti: 1. Being Loved 2. Music 3. Playing Musical instruments (all kinds, especially bongos). 4. A listening ear (even when I have stupid and irrelevant things to say) 5. A shoulder to lean on when I droop! 6. Hugs makes me so happy too. 7. Hanging out with wonderful friends. 8. I Love attention Like small pikin o (na so).
Bura-Bari Nwilo: What is the one thing that you would have changed about your past?
Eti: I would have loved to go back and set out a well planned, organized life for the future (that can never happen). I am here in the present now. I'm always trying to make the most out of it. I want to live by my own rules and in the present. I want to do whatever I can to make myself and the people around me happy. I have been taken advantage of, abused, my kind heart, and left broken without a care. I have Not given up my dreams to support those around me and help them achieve theirs. These are my goals.
Bura-Bari Nwilo: If you wanted a tool to fix this world, what kind would it be?
Eti: I need so many Tools Bura, biko, only one? You are stingy o
The heart to give to so many people and to love genuinely. People just go through so much Hell to make it, and others just keep squishing on them, instead of supporting. Money- The ability to end world Hunger


2 comments: